Thursday, March 12, 2009



Hasn't EVERYONE that has read the The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe wondered about Turkish Delight and what exactly it is???? and Hasn't EVERYONE read The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe????? I was over at the Adam's house talking to Becky DeFriez. She said she wanted to make turkish delight, because she had just completed a report about Turkey at her school and of course because of the book. So Becky and her brother Matt and her sister Melissa came over and we made.... turkish delight which is one of the wierdest things I have ever made. you boil lemon juice,sugar and water together and you have to do this SO QUICK that we burnt it the first time. We did not put everything in quick enough and had to start over. Then in another pot you stir together cornstarch and water until it reached a "glue-like consistancy" So Matt was just stirring and stirring until all of a sudden it looked like a big glob of glue Matt said "hey everyone so all of a sudden I am stirring then this turned to a glue-like consistancy..." So after that, we mixed the two things together and added rosewater which I had to buy at a health food store in Logan and it cost 7.50$ Becky asked me what I am going to now do with that rosewater. I said it would be sitting right on my spice shelf... and there it is sitting right now and probably will until it ferments......if rosewater ferments.....So we lpoured into one of my really pretty square baking dishes and let it set for 24 hours. The next night Josh ( Becky's older brother) and Becky came over and we cut the Turkish delight into squares. It was so sticky that we had to oil the knife several times. We then rolled it in a mixture of cornstarch and powdered sugar. Josh and I were the first to try it and ....um... wow... yeah.... wish you had seen the look on our faces... it has a VERY INTERESTING taste...not very American and just well interesting...Becky did not like it at all... Don't think that Matt or Melissa did either... Josh took some to his debate team. I took some to my job BARELY ANYONE WOULD EVEN TRY IT!!!
So that is my expierence with turkish delight. I don't think that I will make that until I am a stay-at-home mom and read this book to my kids.... which is like at least 7-8 ish years away until I have a kid old enough to like that book... I might be geared up to make it again by then and I bet my rosewater will still be good hahahahah

No comments: