Tuesday, October 9, 2012

field trip

PUMPKIN PATCH MANIA!!!!!!

Here in Northern VA the and I mean THE pumpkin patch to go to is.. Coxes Farm.. it is a huge fall extravaganza... it is out on a " country road" in Centreville, VA and there is even TRAFFIC to get to it.. and you have to sometimes walk for like five minutes to get into it..and when you do you pay a CRAZY price to walk around with LOTS of people and stand in line and wait to go down slides and other stuff.. yes.. they have fun slides.. yes they have an awesome hay ride..yes they have other cool stuff and at night they even have a corn maze for the older people..

But I am kinda over it...


so for the past two years I have been doing the " other pumpkin patches of Northern VA.. last year I went to one in Leesburg, VA where Julian and I rode a camel!!! If I was more tech savvy I would put the link to my review up .. but I am not.. so just believe me I reviewed it on THIS blog!!!

this year I have been to TWO pumpkin patches so far..and it is ONLY October 9th.. who knows I might even go to MORE..

1. Krops Crops in Great Falls, VA- Julian and I went to this one last week. It is on Georgetown Pike past Reston so I am not sure how it is in Great Falls but oh well.. I will just go with it.. We pulled up and they have a shack type thing that looks like the style of " old farmhouse" like they have old things laying around and such.. they sell a variety of fall produce and stuff in there and they also have delicious cider and a lot of local produced jams and jellies and honeys and stuff..
  outside they have a large selection of pumpkins you can pick through.. and I got one for my " dinner in a pumpkin" there..
they also have a hayride that I can't review because that was not going  while I was there.. but it costs $5.00 I think ..
they have a bunny and some LOUD donkeys and a couple of goats..the donkeys kind of scared Julian..
They also had this thing called the corn crib where there is a big shed type area filled with corn kernels that you can sit in and play in.. Julian did not and I mean DID not like that.. AT ALL...
I thought that place was OK.. they have a Frisbee golf course there too if you are into that.. and they have some local stuff. ... it is more like one of those roadside ones that have decided hey I can make a few extra bucks at fall by adding a few extra things..
Here is their link if you are interested http://www.kropscrops.com/index.html
2. Ticonderoga farms in Chantilly,VA which is more like South Riding ..but again just go with it.. I went to this one on Columbus Day with Oliver age 6, Fletcher who is almost 4 and Desi who is 2. So if you know where Coxes is.. you just keep on going down the road and very soon you will see signs for Ticonderoga Farms. It cost $60 for all of us to get in.. it is about 15 dollars a person and they charge from age two and over.
they had a farm stand with fall produce and some local things..
I bought some local jelly that they made from figs produced there.. it was fig with orange zest ... SO GOOD!!!!!

after we went in we had a lot of activities to choose from here are some of the things that we did..
- slides they had slides built up on a hill that we could go on .. there were about 8 slides on this one hill some had tunnels some not..some had a bit of a lift.. and there were not THAT many people there so Oliver was able to run ahead of us and wait for us at the top.. He liked that :) We had NO LINE to get on the slides and we went down every single one.. the boys ALL really liked this.. Oliver and Fletcher went down by themselves and Desi said " can I sit on your lap Keli?" and he sat on my lap and went down.. it was really fun!!!
- they had some around five fire pits going in different locations that you are welcome to roast stuff in.. we did not bring anything, but you can buy smores making things if you want.. we did not but you COULD or you can bring your own.
-they had a Noah's Ark that the kids could play on, the boys were convinced that it was a pirate ship..and really liked it..
- there were several wooden forts for them to climb into and up and around some had ladders with a top floor.. the boys really enjoyed this.. even DESI climbed up the ladder if I was right behind him!!!
- they had this HUGE bounce pillow that kids could take off their shoes and socks and bounce on.. and if you are under 150 lbs you can bounce too! .. so I did..
-they had a couple of playgrounds and see-saws that the kids had fun playing on ..
-there were peacocks and chickens and goats and some free range chickens the kids had fun feeding the goat bamboo..
-there was a swinging bridge that went over a pond. the kids liked crossing that.
-instead of a corn maze they had a BAMBOO maze!!!!!!! how cool is that.. Oliver was all like.. I hope we don't run into a PANDA in here.. hahahahha yeah I hope not.. they had doors of all different kinds that you could open and go through to get you different places in the maze. THE KIDS REALLY ENJOYED THIS..
-they had tether ball and big pipes the kids could crawl through in another area.. Oliver was like look at that tunnel. and I was like ' what if it is a TIME TUNNEL.. Oliver went through it and said.. no it is not.. it is just a regular tunnel.. I said ' oh you did not end up in the Mesozoic era or anything.. he said no.. it is just a regular tunnel hahahahhahahahahahHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
-they had a cow train.. where you take a little ride in cows.. this was included in the cost which was awesome because things like that are never included in the cost..but beware.. Oliver and I both got a little queasy it was very bumpy.. Oliver said he was a little "ride sick"
-they had adult slides that only people a certain height and older can go on .. Oliver was BARELY that height with his hair sticking up and shoes on.. but he was so he went up there and slid down a couple slides and had fun.. and Fletcher cryed the whole time that he was not big enough...
-they also had BIG tepees that the kids could crawl in and sit on stumps, Oliver said "did Indian's really live in these?" and Desi said 'Keli is this someones house ??'
-they had a spooky barn that we went in and passed a lot of scary stuff and strobe lights, Oliver and Fletcher liked it.. Desi started crying and said " lets get out of here Keli"
-they also had antique tractors, an old truck and a fire engine you could crawl on..
and they had a hayride.. we got on the trailer and sat on hay and rode out through lots of fields and passed different cut out characters and lots of other things old antiques, skeletons all sorts of things until we ended up at a pumpkin patch.. Then we were allowed to get out and pick our own pumpkins up to FIVE lbs..but who wants more.. so the kids got out and roamed around the fields.. Oliver found his own and I think that Fletcher did too.. and I helped Desi find one..
then we got back in the tractor and he took us THROUGH a creek and we ended up back at the start.
By then we had been there for THREE hours..yes THREE.. and Fletcher and Desi REALLY needed a nap.. so we left..
the boys ALL really enjoyed themselves and I would have to say three hours.. and all that fun.. YES it was worth the money... and I am glad we went.
Here is the website for more info http://www.ticonderoga.com/
 

No comments: