Monday, September 8, 2008

field trip




This weekend I went hiking in Logan Canyon with my friend Paul. We hiked to the Jardine Juniper Tree it is a ten mile hike round trip.As with any journey it was great to get to our destination but also great to finish...Like check us out we hiked that!



I met Paul at his house in Logan at a little after eight in the morning on Sat. We got up to the trailhead in Logan Canyon close to nine AM. It was easy to find, you just drive up Logan Canyon until you see the sign that says Jardine Juniper trail. When Paul and I parked at the trailhead we saw a group of people on horseback starting up the trail. One of the horses started bucking like he was a bucking bronco at the rodeo. The old man riding him just held on and the horse fell over and the old man fell over. Paul and I thought that was a bit scary. We did not get out of the car until we knew where the horse was, I mean not tryin to go on a hike with a wild horse on the loose. We did not see them the rest of the hike until we got back to the car, they said they took another trail... So Paul and I started on the trail. I was not the prettiest trail I have ever been on. but the higher we got the more breathtaking the views of the canyon. The hike was not pretty where Paul and were walking but where ever I could SEE was absolutly beautiful. I really liked this hike because the our ascent was so gradual we had a number of switchbacks there was never a point in the hike where I thought WHOA CAN I MAKE IT UP THAT???? I was huffing and puffing like I was a big bad wolf though. On the way up we ran into some really out of shape mountain bikers. We saw them once and they said they were on their way up.... we never saw them again. We think that they gave up. We also saw an old man RUNNING down he had to be AT LEAST SIXTY. I thought wow I am not in that good of shape NOW!!! i would LOVE to be in that good of shape THEN!!!! At one point this man appeared on the trail he asked us how we were doing we said fine and he said he had "bushwacked" his way to where we were, we were REALLy high up at this point to like um OK dude I have no idea why unless you are looking for places to hunt but hey go ahead... We ran into an older couple that was all decked out they even had hiking poles they told us some other cool places to hike in Logan Canyon and took a picture of Paul and I. Paul and I took several cool pictures of us with the scenary. It was just so neat to be that high up. When we arrived at the Jardine Juniper the view there is .... JUST AMAZING you are so high up and there you are with this tree that is over 320o years old. Only the top of it is still alive and has leaves. There was an observation deck with a box to leave a message that you had been there. I found pages dating back to 2002 of people that had been there and left messages. I wrote that I loved the scenary and Paul wrote that he love the grasshoppers...


The young men and young women in the Logan Spanish branch were there. One girl Jeanette took some really cool pictures of Paul and I. I posted the pics on facebook and myspace, when you see them comment please! We ate lunch up by the tree and started back down. On the way there we took a "scenic route" on the way back we took the "shady route" we saw another group of horse back riders we saw several mountain bikers that were really struggling on the way up and just cruising on the way down. the mountain bikers made it up and down before Paul and I even made it down. I said to all of them did you go all the way to the tree they all said yes, one said did you, I said yes and we have 100 pictures to prove it! Actually we had about sixty. Also at the tree there was also a box with papers and writing utensils where we had to sign in that we made it to the top. I have said that the hike was beautiful and the tree was neat and the pictures are so cool. I also want to say that Paul and I talked almost straight from 8:30 AM until almost 2:00Pm Paul is one of the NICEST guys I have ever met... He is just a really really nice guy. I really enjoyed talking to him. Paul asked me when we got in the car if my legs hurt, I said no not at all.WELL when I got out of the car at the thrift store I volenteer at in Smithfield... whoa my legs were like Jello. I am just now on Tuesday able to walk normal...I managed to volenteer at Somebodys Attic for a couple of hours. I got some really cute kids books. That night I went to my friends Davey and Lexie's house. I read their daughter Emryie the cute kids books around five times each:). I then watched Failure to Launch with Davey and Lexie. It was an OK movie since it had Matthew McConaghy and Riley from National Treasure in it .... other than that well um.... yeah


So that was my day and my hike let me know what you think! I am still so happy when I think of this day:)









No comments: