Monday, September 1, 2008

recipe


So today I took it upon myself to make a cookie bouquet. I had Becky, Matt and Melissa DeFriez over to help me. I made some sugar cookie dough. While it was firming up in the fridge we decorated our pots with the limited amount of paint that I have. When the cookie dough was ready we took it out of the fridge and it was very crumbly. Thank goodness Kathy was home, she put some milk in my dough and made it all better. So we rolled out the dough and cut it out into three shapes, stars, hearts and flowers. we then put the stick on the cookie and put more dought around the stick and baked it. We had several fall on the ground and fall of the stick... BUT we were each able to get a bouquet in each of our pots! The kids used most of the cute decorater gel I had bought by the time that I got around to wanting to frost mine. Mine still look sort of cute... sorta cute. I got some gravel from out of the driveway and we put that in each of our pots to hold up the sticks. This whole process took around FOUR hours!!! in fact I still have some cookies out there that need to be frosted.... The kids sister Julie came and got them and they were able to ride home with their bouquets on their laps. I have to bring my bouquet all the way to Logan tomorrow. Then over to my friend Kyle's so I can give it to him. I hope that it can withstand all of that. I have little plastic bags on each of the cookies now. I just hope that it can stand coming with me to Qwest and then to Kyle's job. So after all this I can say that I have made a cookie bouquet. I don't think I want to make another anytime soon but I sure am glad that I have that expierience under my belt. I mean not everyone can say that they have made a cookie bouquet!!! I am going to mail my friend Elaine and my friends Keturah and Shalisa some sticks so they can try and make their own bouquets.... and I sure do hope that Kyle LOVES his bouquet!

Michelle Bommarito’s Sugar Cookies For Sticks3 c. all-purpose flour1 teaspoon baking powder2 sticks butter, unsalted, softened1 cup granulated sugar1 large egg 1/2 t. kosher salt1 teaspoon vanilla extractdash of almond extractSift together the flour and baking powder. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the egg, salt and both extracts.Slowly add flour mixture (1 cup at a time) and stir until incorporatedForm the dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface to approximately 5/8″ thick. Cut the cookies into shapes and place the cut cookie shape on a parchment lined cookie; Poke a stick into cookies.Bake the cookies for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown in color. Remove cookies from the oven and allow tocool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.Royal Icing 1 pound confectioner’s sugar5 T meringue powder or 1/4 cup pasteurized egg whitesIce cold water according to desired consistency and 1 teaspoon vanillaStir together, using as much water as needed for desired consistency

That is the recipe that I used... like I said I must have used to much flour or something I found this recipe online....

So I made that
we decorated our pots
we found it was easier if we just put the stick on the dough and then just put dough over the stick
we baked them for about 15 minutes
let cool for about 15 minutes
frosted the flowers, stars and hearts
stuck them in the flowerpots
any questions or comments just ask me

I will post some pictures as soon as I can figure out how to get pictures off my camera!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have got to get more crafty! I love it! You are awesome Keli! I want to make my own little cookie bouquet now too! Sounds like such a culinary adventure!

Unknown said...

I will mail you some sticks!!!