Sunday, January 9, 2011

field trip

Over Christmas break I took Bowman and Tenney to the Stabler-Ledbeater Apothecary in Alexandria, VA. My friend Elaine came along with us.
The apothecary is located in Old Town Alexandria they have a gift shop that I could have spent a lot of money in because they had some very cute jewelry in there. While we were waiting for our tour to begin. I talked to the girl behind the desk and she has a degree in museum management....just like that guy at Mt.Vernon remember him? So I asked her if he Obama's had ever toured there. She said the younger daughter Sasha had been on a field trip there with her class but that she was on her lunch break when they came. THAT IS MY NEW QUESTION... I am now going to ask everywhere that I go, Has anyone in the Obama family been here?
Our tour guide was an older gentlemen that I thought did a great job. He showed us how Martha Washington and Robert E. Lee had shopped there. He said that in 1933 that the person that owned the apothecary just walked out and locked the door and left everything as it was. The city of Alexandria bought the building and made it into a museum. The original bottles with the original contents are still there in the same places.
We went upstairs where they had a trap door that the tour guide opened for Bowman and Tenney they had fun looking through it and down on Elaine and I.
We went into a room with a sliding door and it looked like Diagon Alley in there. They had things like Unicorn root ( which is a plant) and Dragons blood ( the pulp of a plant) they even had cocaine, heroin, opium and cannabis, IDK if those things were still full of those things but who knows.
there is another upstairs above that BUT it is not up to code so we were not able to tour that. I had a nice time touring that place and I did get a magnet.
Elaine, Bowman and Tenney also enjoyed their time.

No comments: