Friday, January 25, 2013

dating Keli

In December 2012, I went to the Potomac ward Christmas party and stayed REALLY LATE..like maybe until midnightish..

I did not want to walk out to my car by myself.. I don't want you to think I am a wimp or anything.. I just want you to think that I have common sense.

The Bishop of the Potomac ward had sent out some emails about how some shady things had been happening at and around that building.. from people just hanging out begging for money and rides.. to someones car getting broken into and her purse being stolen..

So I thought.. I am never going to leave that building alone.. and if you read as many books as I did or watched as many episodes of Criminal Minds or CSI or Law and Order SVU that I do.. you would feel the same way.

the only problem is so many of the men are about as big as me.. I swear that I weigh more than several of the men... I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that fact.. but I believe that there is strength in numbers so if I am leaving with a man or another woman.. I am hoping that just not being alone will deter anyone that might be considering doing anything..

So when I was leaving the party. I asked this guy if he could walk out with me...He said "why it is completely safe out there.. and besides you are in the parking lot nothing will happen to you."

this guy obviously does not read mystery novels or watch lots of episodes of CSI, Criminal Minds or Law and Order SVU..

I said have you not read the bishops emails .. he was like " well that is nothing" you don't need to worry about that"

well yeah I do...I am not to keen on the idea of being mugged or raped.. or whatever....

so this guy said that he guessed he could walk me to my car..but I should go in and get some free food first because they were giving away all the food that was not eaten.. and he had already taken a lot of it...So I took a plate of brownies to share with my co-workers the next day.

So then we were leaving to walk out when this guy saw another woman.. He did not say anything to me.. not wait a second.. not hold on.. nothing.. he just went up and started talking to this woman...he asked her
how her life was
how her son was
how old her son was now
if she ever got mistaken for her son's sister...
where she was going for the holidays
how much she had paid for the plane ticket
was that plane ticket a good price
what would she do when she got to the place where she was spending her holiday..
and on and on and on... and on.. and she asked him questions back too.. and it was a nice cordial conversation.. so here is my issues...

we were on the way out.. all I asked him to do was walk me to my car...he could have came right back in and talked to her...

she was already talking to another man.. this does not seem to discourage people in the Potomac ward.. they don't even say excuse me or anything like even though she was in the middle of a conversation with another man..he felt like it was OK for him to come up and start a whole new conversation...

then the other man is just standing there all awkward...like how do I get out of here.. or will this guy leave I was talking to this lady...

and I am standing there all awkward.. with a plate of brownies..

while this guy is asking her more and more questions... like can you just walk me to my car please!!!!

I really like the girl he was talking to so I got into the conversation too.. but after each question.. I thought OK we can walk to my car now.. but no he would ask another question to her..

so the other guy said excuse me.. and walked away...

at one point the girl said to him "well what are you going to do for Christmas?" and he said "celebrate my singledom with all my single siblings and my parents...wow.. just wow...

so I said nothing.. I just walked to my car and prayed that I would be OK and I was...

but I thought no.. being single at your age and never being married and having no kids is NOT something to celebrate... and if your parents AND other single siblings are celebrating that.. then they are part of the problem..not that you need to sit home and be depressed that you are still single.. but I also don't feel like it is worth celebrating..

This may seem like a harmless comment to you .. but I feel like so many of the singles I know especially the men seem to be stuck in this high school or young college mentality.. like I AM SINGLE AND YOUNG AND READY TO MINGLE!!!!!! like no you are single and old and need to get ready to get married...

I hope that one day I can get married.. I may never.. I wont be depressed that I am single.. but I also don't see myself celebrating being single.. I already did that many years ago.. now.. it is just a fact.. 

No comments: