Saturday, May 15, 2010

Field Trip




Spike and I went across this


I have been going to Ellanor C. Lawrence park so much that I have almost exhausted all the trails there, so this week I called Lake Fairfax Park in Reston,VA.It is about 12 miles or so from my house.

They have a lake that you can rent boats and go out on and you can also go out in a little pontoon boat that I actually did as a teen on a date. There is a water park that was not there when I lived here before it is geared toward kids it is called The Water Mine and has an old west theme and everything in it is kid sized.

it has camping and picnic tables ( I wish I had someone to camp with) and it has playgrounds and even a carousel

BUT I was not going with anyone but Spike so all I cared about was if it had some trails that we could walk around on.

I called and asked if they had trails and the person that answered the phone had to go and check and came back and told me that they did... he did not really seem to know what he was talking about but I thought...how can he be wrong about this?? I mean he asked someone.

so I get there and I drive around the lake and the campgrounds and the baseball fields and see NO TRAILS and I was like oh man... I just drove clear to Reston....I hope that guy really asked someone so I was about to give up when I went into an area that said that it was reserved for big partys like you can reserve this area for big parties and I saw a trail leading off from there.I thought YAY!

So Spike and I head out and we met another lady and her dog.. She said that if I walked for a half hour that I would end up in Colvin Mill, which is way down on rt 7 so I kept walking... and walking I passed Colvin Mill and I crossed like 3 roads and I kept walking and I left the trail at Lake Fairfax and ended up on the Cross Country Bike trail and I yielded to lots of bikes and I kept walking and I saw lots of deer running and I ended up in Difficult Run Stream Valley Park... which is in VIENNA! THAT IS RIGHT ME AND SPIKE WALKED FROM RESTON,VA TO VIENNA,VA!!! It was about 4 miles

I stopped walking after we crossed the rocks in the picture above because we had to get back to the car in time for it to not be dark on the trail.

something I have noticed about lots of trails here is that people build houses EVERYWHERE HERE so on the left side of me was beautiful woodland and on the other side of me was woods and houses and neighborhoods... kinda wierd..Kathy says it is not like that in UT because the government owns most of the open space.

So Spike and I had a great day walking

and one day I just know that I will have someone to walk with us and instead of walking back to my car, we can walk back to our campsite and camp there fun fun :)

No comments: