Friday, September 2, 2011

Happy Memorial Day 2011 part 3

I like to celebrate Memorial Day by going to the cemeteries where my families are buried and honoring them.
This year I went up to Middleburg, VA and met my Uncle Eddie and Aunt Bryan. We drove out in the country...way.. way.. out in the country.. of Loudoun County and went to Ebenezer Cemetery. My grand-parents, great-grandparents, and great-great-grandparents are buried there. There are five generations of my family buried at that cemetery. It was so peaceful to walk around there and see all the American Flags and all the Confederate Flags for people that had fought in wars. My dad's first cousin Ralph Houston Crouch was killed in WW2 during Iowa Jima.. My great-great grandpa Elijah Hall was in the confederate army during the civil war.. so was my other great-great grandpa "fiddlin" Billy Wright.. but he may have died in battle...
We put flowers on the graves and then headed over to the "black cemetery" remember this is VA and once upon a time..black and whites were segregated.. apparently even in death..
My great-grandma Dora Hall Wright took in a young black boy she found on her property named Walter Young. He became a part of our family.. and now he really is because several years ago I sealed him to us too.. So we always go and put a flower on Walter Youngs grave too.
When we went to that cemetery.. there were two old black gentlemen sitting outside. You have to pay a donation to go to that cemetery. My uncle gave them a $20.
He then talked to one of them about the dangers of smoking and how it is bad for you and can kill you. The man said that he was in his 80s and had not died yet.. My Uncle then said well.. I guess that is true.. but it is still not good for you.
My Uncle then asked why there were no confederate flags at that cemetery because there were a LOT at the cemetery that he was just at...................................................
I was like OMGOSH! um let me think...those men looked at my Uncle like IDK you tell me... there was civil war soldier buried there and he fought for the Union army.
My Uncle then stood in the heat and humidity and talked to those men for awhile about people they both knew.
After that we went back to their house where My aunt fixed us a wonderful lunch and we had a great chat. My Uncle has dubbed me the family historian .That makes me happy :)
Later in the day I went by my grandparent Sines graves in Vienna, VA.
I did not have any real flowers this time for any graves so I made flowers out of fabric and put them on the graves.
I have a lot more pictures from this day. but my computer is having technical difficulties so this is all you get for now.
I am so grateful for my family. I am so grateful that we were able to go and visit the cemetery and have such a great day.

No comments: