Sunday, December 4, 2011

random Keli

When I was in jr. high Swatch Watches were SO IN STYLE..and not just one.. you had to have a LOT like TONS.. and wear them all over your wrist.. in lots of pastel colors.. my parents said I did not NEED a bunch of watches in different pastel colors.. what a freakin SHOCK.. who were those other parents buying their kids multiple pastel colored watches..?? One day I remember I arrived at Rocky Run and two popular girls were standing at the entrance and they said that they were in a contest to see " how many watches that each of them could get" they were like GIVE ME YOUR WATCH!!! GIVE IT TO ME!!! and they said that they would "give it back as soon as they were done with their contest".. I did have ONE pastel Swatch watch that I loved with all my young teenage heart.I gave this popular girl my Swatch watch.. and thought OMGOSH a popular girl that has never talked to me is talking to ME.. and "wants to be my friend" I let her use my watch.. when I asked for it back she said.. what watch? I don't have your watch... I felt.. used.. and like um...I said yes you do.. she said no I don't.. I wanted to cry.. instead I said I know that you know about my watch and I want it back.. she said no.. that I never gave her a watch.. I was sad.. and also sad she did not want to be my "friend" I went home and my mom said "WHERE IS YOUR WATCH THAT YOU BEGGED FOR THAT WE SPENT ALL THAT MONEY ON" I told her what happened my mom was mad.. she was like why did you give it to her.. I said because she said she was in a contest and she would give it back.. my mom said.. well.. that was stupid.. and we paid for that and you begged for that watch and you need to  GET IT BACK!!! ...so what is worse my mom or the popular girl being mad..that was a toss-up..  I picked that I would rather the popular girl.. so I went back and told her that I did want my watch and she DID know what I was talking about.. she said no again and played dumb.. I tattled on her and told the principal.. she gave my watch back.. when I think of this experience.. I think of what a low self-esteem I had as a young teen.. and how I yearned to be accepted.. It really made me think.. when you are raising kids..by the time they are in jr. high..you already have had to teach them a lot .. and we also have to teach them how important it is to make good choices and have good self-esteem and know who they are.. and how important they are.. if I could go back now and live that again..then I would say .. "no you can't have my watch~! I don't even KNOW you.. and I don't care about your contest.." because I would be confident in who I am.. and the friends I did have.. that WERE good friends..IDK if I will ever get married and have kids. but I hope that if I have a daughter I can teach her to know herself like this.. and I hope that I can help other young people I come in contact with to believe in themselves..

No comments: