Sunday, December 18, 2011

spiritual Keli

I spoke in church last Sunday. I would love to have a link I could put here of my talk or maybe even type it all out BUT to tell you the truth.. I did not write one. I once listened to a "book on tape" from I don't even remember who.. and this guy was like " I don't write a talk. I just jot down a few notes and just let the spirit guide me.." I have always wanted to do that.. but did not really have the nerve.. and felt like there was something I just NEEDED to say.. and I regret thinking .. and doing this.. but sometimes I felt like there was someone I needed to say stuff too.. I know shocker I called people out sometimes in my talks but um yeah.. I have repented.. So when Brother Bennion called and asked me to speak I decided to not write a talk.. at all.. and just go by the spirit.. I was assigned to speak on the atonement. The other speaker was a young married woman Breckin, she like I said is married and has a baby named Cooper. we were also speaking with a missionary that just got home from his mission Josh.
So I am sitting up there and Brother Bennion then announces that when we are done speaking that if Elder Gerard wants to say a few words than he can.. I was like ELDER WHO??? what... Josh was like oh that is a general authority.. he is a member of the 70.. I was like WHAT THE??? there is a member of the 70 here... omgosh.. so I jotted down a COUPLE of thoughts on my program.. with eyeliner.. and I looked up "atonement" in the bible dictionary.. and looked in the book I am reading "the infinate atonement" by Tad Callister.
When it was my turn to talk.. and may I say that this guy Josh's WHOLE extended family must have been there...I talked about how I had told my boss Will that I was going to speak about the atonement. I asked if he knew what that was.. he said um no.. I said that is when Jesus Christ went into the garden of gethesemene and bled from every pore and suffered like no man has every suffered and ultimatly died on the cross .. and had mercy on us so that one day we can return to live with God again"
He said Oh OK..
then that night I asked my friend Beth if she knew what the atonment was.. he said she " had heard of it from me" I told her what it was too.. and she said " I hope that is true..because I have done a lot of bad things.. I said IT IS TRUE!!! .. and we have ALL done a lot of bad things...
I asked the congregation do WE know what the atonement is and do we appreciate it.. ?? I read a paragraph out of the bible dictionary about the atonement and talked about how important it was to apply it in our lives and how we needed to do what we could to recognize what it was and learn about it and BELIEVE IT.. I said that we all had different trials and some peoples trials seem so lame when we hear about them and that people in our ward sometimes say things like "why can't you mid-singles just "get married" it is not rocket science.. or just point out ANY guy to me and say to marry him.. or refine him.. or "why not him" ... I said that we should never belittle someone elses trials and one of my trials is being single and as hard as it is for me to be single .. other people have trials that in their spheres are huge for them. I bore my testimony at the end and said that I had no idea how I ended up speaking at church on the Sunday that a GENERAL AUTHORITY was there.. and not even writing a talk... People later said "that was a good talk Keli.. " I said that was not a talk.. that was just me.. talking..hahahah!
after I spoke Breckin gave a beautiful heart-felt talk on the atonement that really touched me..
Then Josh got up to speak and he said he understood how I felt because he had been home from his mission three days and he was still not married..omgosh.. he said his heart went out to me............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahah! OMGOSH.. "his heart goes out to me..." good to know.... after that escapade.. Josh gave a great talk about his mission to Ogden, Utah and the surrounding areas..
we had a beautiful harp and flute performance.
Elder Gerard said a few words at the end. He said that he was there on assignment to "follow me around" hahahha.
He talked about how when we pray we also have to make sure that we are studying it out. ...
all in all I think it turned out to be a GREAT sacrament meeting.. and now I guess I can relax and wait another two years until I have to speak again...:)

2 comments:

juanita said...

hey Keli, sounds like you did a great job!! I have always liked your comments (ie in institute). Sounds like the missionary was trying to show empathy which is good..but defintely no comparison between 3 days and many years! :) Juanita

Unknown said...

thank you Juanita!!! :) .. yeah Josh thought he was pretty funny!.. and it has been eleven almost twelve years for me.. crazy crazy..