Tuesday, November 23, 2010

field trip

Justin and I went and visited The Franklin Delano Roosevelt Museum in Washington DC in November 2010. I am still trying to visit all the monuments at night so all my pictures came out dark since I don't have a really nice camera. The monument was built in the 1990s and this is my first time visiting it. Justin visited once when he was here as an intern when he went to Utah State.
The monument is split into four "rooms" each representing his four terms as president of the USA.
For a long time the only statue of him was the large one that you can see Justin standing beside when you look at my pictures on FB. People with disabilities specifically people with wheelchairs were not happy about that and they petitioned until there was a statue built showing that FDR was in a WHEELCHAIR for his presidency advocating handicapable people everywhere. My aunt Gail said that she thinks that Franklin would be MAD if he knew about that statue because he did what he had to do to HIDE his wheelchair and some people did not even know he HAD a wheel chair...
there was a statue of someone listening to a fireside chat which is what he did gave talks over the radio. there were statues of people waiting in a bread line. There was a statue of Eleanor. there were lots of quotes and engravings and lots of waterfalls. there was a HUGE statue that I mentioned before of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and his dog Fala. We were going to stay for the interpretive program but Justin got distracted because he saw two foxes run across The National Mall... I did not even know there WERE fox in DC... which should not surprise me since I saw a fox right by Justin's. That is OK we can always go back and here that another time :)
I am glad that we went to this memorial it was not that crowded as it was in the high 40s that night. Everyone down there that night was white and looked kind of wealthy...
I am grateful that we live so close to a memorial for such a wonderful man and that his wife did so much to help women. I look forward to going to another monument at night soon.

No comments: