Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Keli's Birthday part 2

  Since my birthday was in the middle of the week, I went to Virginia Beach the weekend after my birthday. 

Lucky for me Ralph was able to take that weekend off.. well.. kinda.. he had to work LATE on Fri and then go back to work on Sun..

BUT WE HAD SAT!!!, so we left around midnight on Sat. and we drove to VA beach.. you know what the cool thing is about leaving that late..NO TRAFFIC...

We stayed at my friend Danielle's, her roommate had just moved out so Ralph had a room all to himself! I stayed downstairs in the living room on an air mattress.

We woke up the next day to a rainy day.. all day it rained off and on..Ralph and I went to the beach anyway. It was one of the "coldest" birthdays I can remember the water was rough.. IMO.. in Ralph's opinion it was normal. we sat on the beach.. I went in.. then Ralph went in. He is a great swimmer.

I had a REALLY hard time I kept wiping out.. and kept feeling out of control like I was going to DROWN.. it was a bit scary for me. Ralph kept telling me to be calm.. and other things to "duck dive" .. I don't know what a "duck dive" is...sigh maybe I will learn to swim more in 2014....

After we swam for awhile, I decided to build a sandcastle. I realized that to build a sandcastle that you need more than one bucket.. like a sandcastle with only one bucket kinda sucks.. and then I realized I don't even know how to build a sandcastle...like.. I don't even know how the sand should be wet or dry or whatever.. but guess who does...
RALPH!!! here he is! ..but he was not that interested in building sandcastles...I mean but what grown man with no kids DOES want too...

Then it started raining.. and well we called Danielle to come and get us.. We stopped by the 17th St. Surf Shop. I love that place.. I now have a tradition of going there on my bday and getting a new pair of flip flops. So I got a new pair and Ralph got an amazing hat. 

We then went to get our tickets, to do the parasailing.. Every year I try and do something fun for my bday so this year I picked parasailing.. we were lucky to get our tickets because it was raining off and on all day.. They tried to make us go to some Cirque de Soleil type thing and Ralph said "no".

After Danielle picked us up, We went to a restaurant focused on Diners Drive Ins and Dives it is called Leaping Lizards Cafe. http://theleapinglizard.com This was the first time that I had heard Ralph say that he liked a place.. Ralph is an amazing chef so for him to say that is awesome. The weather had cleared and they sat us out on the patio and something that this place is known for is "fresh food" and "local food" they have a farm there and a farmers market there and you could see the chef going in and out to the farmers market to get produce. They have free-range chickens that were walking around in the patio area. 
that was my appetizer it was fried green tomato's SO GOOD..we also had a delicious SWEET POTATO BISCUIT!!!! I really want to do a copy cat of that now. YUM! 
I could have made a meal off THAT..

Then after a WONDERFUL lunch Danielle took Ralph and I to go catch our parasailing boat.. and well I feel like that deserves it's own blog post ..so till next time.

No comments: