Thursday, March 29, 2012

holiday


 Ok sad story I can not find my memory card from Oct 2011- to Feb 2012.. so I am just going to have all those stories wait.. and " move on with my life " to Feb 2012..
...........I love to celebrate holidays!!! I really, really do!!!! so on President's day 2012 I planned a mid-singles trip to Ashlawn-Highland home of the 5th president of the United States James Monroe and his wife Elizabeth Kortright Monroe. In the picture above is Angelene, Donnie, Amy, Kris and myself.
Kris, Amy and I had a beautiful drive to Charlottesville, VA where we met Donnie and Angelene.  We walked around the gift shop where I got a magnet and then went over to the tour.. our tour guide was a short black gay guy named Donnie.. he was AWESOME!!!! great tour guide!!!:) He led us through the house and because it was president's day there were different visitors Donnie the tour guide seemed excited every time like "oh my goodness, look who is here!!" :) We had a young lady dressed in peirod clothing that was a "friend of President Monroe's daughters" she talked to us all about one of the rooms and ladies of that time period.. We had an older lady that was a "friend of Mrs. Monroe" that talked to us all about eating customs ( we were in the kitchen) We went in a few other rooms and we ended up in a room with a man that was "President Monroe"  President Monroe was broke and so he was pretending that this was the time period when his house was for sale and we were there to look at it and to maybe buy it..
He chatted with us for a bit. When we were leaving I asked if Barack Obama had ever been there and he said " I don't know who that man is ( they have to stay in character)but he is welcome to visit if he is an American citizen...ha ha.. We walked around the grounds for awhile and went in and toured some of the outbuildings there were people in those buildings doing little demonstrations too..I learned that tea used to come in blocks and they would shave it off to have tea I had never seen that before.
When we were done there we went down the road to Monticello because I needed to stop there and get a magnet.. because someone STOLE my Monticello magnet... that I got when I went there when I was 19..
Monticello is all built up .. it is like a production there like it is a Mt Vernon..
After that Kris, Amy and I headed back to Northern,VA
It was a great day ...I don't know what I will do next year.. The Adams Historic Park is closed in the winter.. I don't know if I will just go to Boston anyway or if I will head down to Nashville and visit Andrew Jackson's house.. I guess I will have to see when the time comes.

No comments: