Thursday, May 17, 2012

field trip

In October 2011 I went to a civil war event at Arlington House.. maybe I should try and update my blog a little more often because I don't even remember how I FOUND OUT about this event...
It was snowing off and on that day and it was almost cancelled ..but it was not and my friend Cherie was nice enough to go with me and another guy Mike met us there.
The only time that you can go to Arlington National Cemetery in the evening is when there is an event at The Arlington house.. that is a fun fact.
 We walked around the house which sustained some damage in the 2011 earthquake. The house is under restoration right now.. we saw several people in civil war outfits. There were people playing civil war music..
2 of the really cool things were:
1. We were able to take a short tour of the graveyard right around the house with a guy dressed in civil war clothes and he told us a lot of interesting stories and history.
2. We were able to sit in on a lecture with  a man that wrote a book about the Lee's during that time period and how Robert E. Lee's son sued the government because they took Arlington House from them..
It was a very interesting evening.. after that we went and met our friend Elaine at a chocolate place in the Del-Ray Arlandria area where Alexandria and Arlington meet.
we had some divine hot chocolate things...
I was thinking that I should do some more things involving history... then I remember
OH YEAH I DO VOLUNTEER AT A HISTORICAL SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: