Sunday, May 6, 2012

random Keli

I have several goals of things I want to accomplish if I ever have kids.. I don't know if I WILL have kids so I try and live out those goals with the kids I baby-sit.
  One of those goals is for kids to be creative and think for themselves. I want the kids in my care to be able to come up with solutions and to be able to figure things out.
Recently when I was watching Tessa age 8. I was cleaning out my car and I found a book in there that  I bought at the thrift store's " $2 a bag book sale" it was a book of different things that girl scouts could do to earn badges. I thought that it might also be useful for the older kids I watch for them to do to something creative.
 I handed the book to Tessa and said here you go, you can read this and find some stuff to do...
 So Tessa sat in the open garage on a lawn chair and read that book and until she found something to do..
..she got a plastic container out of the recycling, and then asked me if I had a " handful of dirt of sand" .....
I said no..I thought um...where would I have that Tessa I mean REALLY....but she went out and found a handful of dirt or sand..
For awhile she was busy.. a little bit later she asked me if I had any moss...
wow............................I said no that she would have to go out and look around for that.. and I did not know if she would be able to find any..
( they live in a townhouse in Gainesville,VA).. I gave her permission to go down to the lake, a couple of blocks away.
I said that she might want to look on rocks and things like that..
By the time that the sunset  that night guess what Tessa had made her own little terrarium type thing...
see what amazing and wonderful things kids can do when they put their minds to it :)

No comments: