Tuesday, August 28, 2012

field trip

Last week I took,
Corey age 11
Hunter age 11
and 
Ari age 8
to Leesburg Animal Park in Leesburg,VA
 with the extra money I paid we got a small ice cream cone with animal feed and then a plastic souvenir cup with a zebra on it that says " Leesburg Animal Park"  that was also filled with animal feed.

With that we could feed some goats, sheep, pony's, lamas, alpacas, deer, and other stuff.

you have to watch out for the horse Napoleon it will steal your whole cup as it did with 11 year old Corey.. and then I had to put my hand in there at my own peril to retrieve that cup, that Corey later decided he did not want...

some of the other things to look at there are
rabbits.. Hunter got to hold one.
macaws- didn't see any
lemurs -didn't see any
there were chickens and roosters roaming around the grounds, but none came close to us.
The gibbons were fun to watch, they were swinging around their cage and that was cool.

some of the other stuff to do there is:
Pony rides- that was included with the extra admission, all the kids did it, it just went around three times.
there was a wagon ride included in admission, it took us to a zebra exhibit where there was a mom and dad zebra and their baby that was born in April 2012. They were out running around waving their tales. The guy who did the wagon ride told us facts about zebras when we stopped there.
the wagon ride also stops at a big pond that is FULL of carp and I mean FULL. He then gives you fish food that you just throw in the water from the wagon and the carp basically fight each other to get it they come out of the water, to get it LIKE THEIR WHOLE BODIES COME OUT OF THE WATER TO GET IT.. and there are a lot of geese there and the geese will step on the carp to get food. so it is like a feeding frenzy.

They also said that the wagon ride is usually longer and more animals are out to view and not in their stalls and behind fences but they can't do that right now because " they are getting ready for pumpkinville" so apparently getting ready for that is more important than the people that come in August. I saw a bunch of wood things standing up against a shed that I guess they are going to put up for pumpkinville.. one of them was a decapitated Shaggy.. IDK about that one..

there is also an area that you can go in and pet dirty pigs, lamas, goats and sheep.. and walk around in their manure if you want to..

they also had a playground and a moonbounce for kids to play in.It was really hot the day that we went and the kids I had with me did not express any desire to do any of that stuff.

We went in the gift shop, which I thought was kinda lame because they did not sell magnets...

next door is a farmers market that sells a lot of local and organic produce, which is cool except all his produce looked terrible..but the guy running it was nice and gave Ari a whole container of tomato's to eat for free.


so here is the information:
Leesburg Animal Park
19270 James Monroe Hwy.
Leesburg, VA

you can find all the other info here
http://www.leesburganimalpark.com/


The lady that I was watching her kids gave me the extra $$ to do the extra things with the kids. So  I paid the 11.50 for kids.. I personally think adults need to be cheaper..

So that is that.. I don't know if or when I will ever go back.. I am sure at some point.. but I don't know it will be any time in the foreseeable future.

 

No comments: