Friday, February 3, 2012

missionary Keli

I went to pay my insurance the other day and my insurance agent was in a funk. She said she is just depressed lately and sick of doing what she is doing..she said that she used to have people begging to get insurance and now.. she does not get that much business.. She said "that no one is loyal"  I said "well I am loyal.." she said "well yeah.." (I guess that full coverage on the 1999 Chevrolet Blazer is not doing much for her..) She said she feels like people are leaving her for the "big companies"
She said her husband is"saved" and she guesses she is still saved, but she has not been to church in years..I inquired and asked her "why not? " She said that she did not like her minister because while everyone else was sacrificing to pay tithing he was driving around in a Cadillac and living in a nice house. She said that when he got mad at people he just kicked them out of the church..
I said " well......you could go to my church..." she said "well yeah.. but you are a Mormon.. and they don't believe the same as we do they do not believe in Jesus Christ"
I assured her that we DID believe in Jesus Christ and that we in fact were The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.. She then asked me why then did people think we were so weird and say such crazy things about us..?
I said "well we believe in God and Jesus Christ and and we know that Jesus Christ is the son of God and our savior and without him and the atonement we would never be able to make it back to God..." I told her that we also believed that in 1820 that a young boy named Joseph Smith went into a grove of tree's and prayed and asked God what church he should join. In answer to his prayer God and Jesus Christ appeared to him and told him that the church of Jesus Christ was not on this Earth.. I said that Joseph Smith was a prophet like Moses and other biblical prophets and he restored The Church of Jesus Christ to this Earth.. and we have the same church that they did in the Bible.. and we believe in prophets and after Joseph Smith was martyred Brigham Young was a prophet.. and so on and so forth and now we have Thomas S. Monson and he lives in SLC, Utah. She said well none of that is weird...
I said well.. we used to practice polygamy..but we don't anymore and that was a long time ago and we had different reasons for doing it and we have not done that in a long time and people that do do that...they are not members of our church..
She said that our church seemed all right and she had no idea if I was telling the truth why people thought our church was so weird and so crazy... I said because people are idiots..
I said that she should know people are idiots because they are leaving an insurance agent like her and going to different companies.. .She said well that is true.
I told her that if she wanted the truth to not listen to idiots and to go on www.lds.org or that she could visit our church on 123, in Fairfax.
I also told her that our bishops do not get paid.. all though some do drive around in nice cars and have big houses but they made that money themselves...
She said her husband would "kill her" if she went to the Mormon church..but she would think about it..
I was in there forever.. she did not want me to leave..I said can I be put on automatic payment she said no.. because
she would miss me coming in to much...
:)

2 comments:

Erin said...

Good for you! I love the way you worded things.

Unknown said...

awww thank you Erin! :)