Tuesday, April 17, 2012

volunteering Keli

So I am still volunteering at the plantation when I can.. I have been following along school groups that are on the "slave life tour"
One day we had some sixth graders come from Springfield these are some of the things that happened that day..
1. the lady that was doing the tour was making the point that we do not know much about the slaves in comparison to the people that owned them, then she said for instance we have all heard of George Warshington right.. and this one kid was like who???????? hahahahaha maybe living in Springfield, VA he is not coming in contact with people that say WARSH and WARSHINGTON instead of WASH and WASHINGTON...
2. then she said and we don't know much about Thomas Jefferson's slaves...um...........................
3. when we went into one of the little outbuildings either the dairy or the smokehouse or something she said " do you know what this building is? one of the kids said " Is it the sacrificial room?"...........omgosh... I am sorry WHAT... WHAT???????? um no it is not.....
4. I overheard a lot of kids talking about swords...
5. I overheard kids talking about bones
6. the kids were taking pictures like crazy with their cell phone and I told them that the house had wi-fi and they were like THAT IS SO COOL...
7. we gave one kid a bag of nails.. when we talked about the slave that was a blacksmith.. and this is what he said.. he did not even look in the bag he said " is this a bag of bones that a sorcerer might use to kill someone with... .................and this was a DIFFERENT kid that was talking about the sacrificial room...
8.one of the kids looked like Johnny Lingo and it kept distracting me and I kept wanting to say you look like Johnny Lingo..but then I thought  he does not know him and it is totally off topic..
9. One kid complained to me that some other kid named Abdullah had found TWO four leaf clovers that day and "just threw them away" ... I don't know what I could have done about that.. like maybe been like ABDULLAH DON'T JUST THROW LUCK AWAY YOU WILL NEED THAT SOMEDAY!!!!! ...
10.I overheard the teacher telling a kid be careful with your phone because iPod glass is not as hard as you think.. um who thinks it is... maybe a kid that has not broken their phone...yet...
11. When we gave the kids some corn pone we were talking about cornbread and such and one kid was like well...what about candy corn?? totally reasonable question.. I mean it is totally in the same family of food...
12. one kid asked me what I did I said I take care of kids.. he said what about their parents I said they have jobs.. he said oh my parents do not work..but when they used to I just "watched myself" .....................of course he did...
13. the person giving the tour also said "why do you think Sally Hemmings did not run away?" hmmm with free trips to PARIS and her BF there.. IDK ...but in all reality I am not an expert in that area of history...

another tour that I did was 4th graders from Annandale and the teachers were just flirting with this one male teacher the whole time because there were enough parent volunteers there... and these teachers were a bit off.. they asked me if I want to come work with them and told me I would fit in well.. like um.. OK I said I don't even have a degree.. they said they could find something for me to do...
also the teachers were talking about how they were so ready to be done for the day so they could go get DRUNK... another teacher from another school said " could you imagine having to do THIS all day.. as in have these kids in your class all day.. I said I do take care of three kids.. he was like well..

I went another day and just did the tour by myself.. and maybe one day I will go and actually give tours to kid by myself that should be a party...

I have not thought about this until now.. but after all those weird questions I may encourage my kids or any that I watch to read books more than fantasy and sci-fi.. cause those questions were a bit off...

No comments: