Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Keli travels

Every year I take kids to a pumpkin patch in October.. Some people in the area ONLY go to Cox Farm in Centreville..I am trying out ALL the pumpkin patchs in the area.. I go to different ones every year so far I have been to,
Cox- too crowded... and overpriced..

Krops in Great Falls - small they said they had a hay ride but we got there and we were the only ones there and they said " it was not gonna run "

Temple Hall in Leesburg- kinda cool but mostly overpriced and lame..

Ticonderoga in Centreville- so far my favorite.

this year I tried out Burke Nursery and Gardens in Burke, VA

I was kind of surprised.. it was MUCH bigger than I thought...here is my review..I took Xander and Seban who are five and my friend Heather came with her daughter Katharine who is four. 

 We went on a free hay ride.. It was actually pretty cool.. we went on a trail back in the woods.. and they had all sorts of stuff hung up and displayed etc. 

a good hay ride is essential to a pumpkin patch IMO.. The kids even asked if we could go on it twice and something cool about Burke Nursery is that once you pay the admission fee you get "umlimited hay rides" other places say just one time.

The only thing I wish they had was a field where we can get off and get a pumpkin .. Ticondergoga had that.. and I thought that was fun..

 It was VERY muddy the day we went ..there was a whole pile of sand or well mud kids could dig through if they wanted to find treasure..that was not even an OPTION for the kids with us.. there were slides every where.. big ones that we could go down that were kind of fun.. and one that we accidentally got on.. that I think was for kids.. and I seriously thought my big but was going to get stuck in it..

 They had a teepee.. why are there always teepees at pumpkin patches.. not sure what Native American's have to do with pumpkin patches but we heard a fake Native American story teller that really had just wrote some books and was trying to sell them... but we did get a picture in this teepee...

 the kids and I posing for a pictture by this fake old west town.. Seban, me, Xander and Katharine.

 at the end.. everyone got to pick a FREE PUMPKIN from a large pile of pumpkins on the way out!!!! Holy Cow Katharine got a big one! 

 and I got a pumpkin too.. it was free with admission after all! 

my verdict.. it was a great but muddy day at the BURKE NURSERY AND GARDENS PUMPKIN PATCH! 






No comments: