Monday, May 5, 2014

Keli travels

Our last stop on our Richmond day was to visit Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, Virginia. It is a famous cemetery for many reasons. There are a lot of president's and such buried there but more important and interesting.. it is HAUNTED! and has all sorts of legends and lore. 
 this is the crypt of THE VAMPIRE OF RICHMOND.. that is right, you read that right THE VAMPIRE OF RICHMOND. No one knows who this guy is that is buried there and he is the only one buried in this crypt. "buried" mmmhmmm I have seen enough Buffy The Vampire Slayer to know that Vampires live in these crypts.. Didn't Angel and Spike both live in Crypts??  Plus I am sure this thing has access to tunnels where all sorts of evil goes on.

 This is the grave of a very important person Matthew Fontain Maury. The kids I was taking care of at the time went to a school in Alexandria, Virginia which was named after him. They sang songs about him. When I found out that he was buried there. I thought I hope that I can find his grave. I am so happy that I did. In a cemetery that big it was basically divine providence. I am not gonna tell you who he is though. You will need to wikipedia him and find out about all the great things he did for the Commonwealth of Virginia.

 to all the little boys and girls of the confederacy ..IE my ancestors basically.

 large monument to confederate soldiers. 

 To the confederate WOMAN.. I would have been one way back when, my ancestors were confederate woman. I would have been one that ran the Underground Railroad, but I for sure would have been one. 

 This is the grave of Winnie Davis she made the awful mistake of falling in love with a NORTHERNER. The south did not approve. It may have been something to do with the fact her father was the president of the confederacy. She was broken hearted. She died never having been married. There are times this this statue crys because well no matter what her wikipedia page says, she died of a broken heart. 

 on certain days of the month this statue's eyes WILL open and follow you around. This was not one of those days. 

 I forgot what this lady does, I think that she roams around or something else like that. I mean but who wouldn't though. It would get tiring standing there all day for eternity. 

 omgosh she is back. I did not put that picture on my blog, it just appeared there. It is the one that opens her eyes and looks around. It just appeared on my blog. I am not even kidding you.

 This statue of a dog used to be in town outside of a store every day a little girl would walk by and she would pet the dog. That little girl DIED. The company that owned the store put the dog by her grave. He now protects her. He also roams the cemetary at night. Look at the direction he is pointed. He might be pointed in the next direction next time.  People are also kind enough to leave toys and such there for him. 
 oh gosh.. I am so silly. Michelle's mom said that dog might follow me home, no he wont he has to protect that little girl and hang out with all his other friends at the cemetary.

I found a lot of this information in the book Weird Virginia. I brought that book with me and basically gave a tour to my friends while we were there..............and well I also gave a tour to some other people that were standing around and joined my tour. 

in the above picture is me, the dog, Harvey, Purple Kellie, Bunny and Michelle. 

This cemetary must be hopping at night with all the vampires and statues walking around crying and everything else. 










1 comment:

MilissaBee said...

We loved visiting the cemetery too. The pyramid structure has like 10,000 soldiers buried underneath if I remember right.