Thursday, December 27, 2012

Holiday- Black Friday 2012

I think that I worked a Black Friday way back when I was like nineteen .. that was almost twenty years ago.. I don't remember even how that WAS.. was Black Friday crazy back then?? Did It start on Thanksgiving?? Did it go all night?? I don't remember...Then another time when I worked at the hardware store in Utah I worked a Black Friday.. but the owner there just opened on time and closed on time.. and we were busy.. but yeah we did not have any crazy hours or anything..
THIS year though.. this year..omgosh.. I worked the real deal a Black Friday RETAIL.. at A MALL...
I worked at the Guess store and my manager said that we were going to call it a "green friday" because we were going to make "that much money"
So my boss hired all sorts of extra people to work.. and we had a meeting for what it was going to be like the Sunday BEFORE Black Friday.. they told us we had to wear red shirts.. and that there was going to be "crowd control" and all this other stuff..like that we could not park at the mall we had to park at a middle school or an elementary school and take a shuttle bus over.. and that we could not tell people that they looked "good" or "cool" we were given a booklet with all these words that we were supposed to tell customers instead..
one of those words was "sexy" I said I am NOT telling male customers that they look sexy because if that is not inappropriate IDK what IS.. ( I would tell a female customer that because we sold clothes to MAKE women look sexy.. )

So I went to bed on Thanksgiving night at about seven PM and I woke up at 2 something.. and headed over to where I needed to park... I got in the shuttle bus with some lady that worked at BCBG and her daughter that was home for the holidays and going to work there..

When we arrived over at the mall it was hopping .. it was crazier than it is in the middle of the day in good weather.. they let us off and we had to walk in some back.. way

there were SO MANY PEOPLE it was crazy.. like I mean CRAZY.. I bumped into someone before I even got to Guess and this lady was like " WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING"... like um I am sorry since it is like 3:30 AM and I am not totally ALERT...

I got to Guess early because I did not want to be late so I did not know what the traffic would be like..

My boss said that she would have " all sorts of stuff for breakfast for us there".. she had NOTHING for breakfast unless you consider two boxes of cheap granola bars all sorts of stuff...

I then worked from 3:45 AM to 4:15 PM.. I still don't know how I made it through that day I really don't.. I guess I can attribute it to the fact that I was wearing a cute outfit and leggings.. there was NO WAY I was going to wear tight jeans that day..also we were allowed to wear whatever shoes we wanted that day.. so I got to wear my really comfortable flip-flops so that was nice too...

and people bought and bought and bought.. and then people returned and returned and returned.. I had no idea about this but apparently people impulse buy on Black Friday...we had returns starting that day.. at one point my boss said NO MORE RETURNS TODAY...!

and it was so surreal people out and about in the early EARLY morning hours like it was the afternoon.. just chatting on their cell phones like it was completely normal to be chatting on your cell phone at four AM..

Burberry did not open to six.. they had a huge line..a couple people got cold standing in the line and came in and bought coats from us..so that was good..

My boss said she would have a "huge lunch for us" and it would be " all the left overs that she had from Thanksgiving and a ton of other food"
I guess the for Thanksgiving her family ate regular and BBQ Lays Chips and cheap hamburger buns and cheap lunch meat and provolone cheese because that is all we had back there .. and some Coke and some water...I was grateful for that though...

I only got a break long enough to sit down and eat a sandwich and that is it.. It was that crazy.. I only got that long of a break all weekend.. anytime that I worked...
 
My one boss worked from 3 to 3 so every hour I counted down the hours that we had left to work.. he did not like that I did not.. because he said that it made the day seem longer.. but well it made it seem SHORTER to me..

I am so grateful that I was at the register.. I for real don't think I could have dealt with it if I were on the floor that whole time..I really don't ..

and if you think all of that sound tiring and crazy.. well my brother worked seventeen hours at Sports Authority!!

No comments: