Monday, December 7, 2009

VA day THREE
















Day three I woke up in Reston,VA at Rob and Erin's. I love to go on day trips, so I like to plan at least one everytime that I go to VA, as you may remember I went to Shenendoah Caverns, in 2007. I went to Staunton,VA in 2008 and I went to Brunswick,MD in 2009. This time I found Solomons Island,MD. It is about two hours from Reston,VA where Rob and Erin live.( all though Rob timed it and said that it took about 1 hour and 46 minutes) It was a really nice drive. We passed over a bridge on the Potomac where you could see the Washington Monument and the US Capitol in the distance. We passed over bridge after bridge after bridge...even a drawbridge which Rob thought was pretty cool. On the way home I fell asleep and I guess we were stuck in "drawbridge traffic"
So we are driving along when all of a sudden just like that we are in the country! like signs up for bait and tackle and fishing licences, one seemed to be made out of duct tape. There were signs for all kinds of seafood for sales like LOBSTERS TURN HERE! FRESH OYSTERS PULL OVER! and CLAMS!!! and CRABS!! There was even a guy selling something out of the back of his truck and I really wanted to pull over for that one but we were going fast and on what would be the equivelant here of a free way and well we would have turned around if we could :)
When we pulled into Solomons Island, MD there was a brick sign that said "welcome to Calvert County Maryland" on one side and on the other side a sign that said " God Bless Ya'll real good" which they attributed to a quote from some guy. WE WERE ALL LIKE WHAT??? WOW and went back and took a picture...
Dave had been really worried about us going there because he said that Solomons Island was a summer town and that we would not have as much fun going there in the winter as we would if we went there in the summer because the tiki bar would be closed and we would not be able to go crabbing. He also said his parents had lived there for ten years and wanted to know how I found out about that town. I said I had looked it up on the interent. I had to remember that Dave does not know that I could get a degree in travel and tourism and looking things up on the internet.
Even though we went and visited in November we were able to go to the Calvert County Marine Museum. It cost 7$ to get in and I thought it was well worth the money. They had a lot of stuff about fossils there. They even had a large dinosaur bone from Emery County, Utah that I had to travel all the way there to see. They had a whale skeleton that they said had washed ashore with Hurricane Ida in 2000something. near that they had a human skull and that is all it said by it human skull..I don't even KNOW what is up with that? like um did that wash up in Hurricane Ida too?? because if so that needs to go to Bones and Booth or something but not be in a museum???
There were boats and boat things on display. There was an exhibit upstairs of Solomons Island now and then which had pictures of the same places in Solomons Island now and a long time ago.
They had a childrens area with a light house that kids could dress up and climb in and play in. They had a large boat that you could also dress up and get in. and tons of things to do. When we first got there, there were a lot of moms with little kids playing there. I thought that is the way to do it.. Get a season pass here and then your kids could play here when it is to cold to play on a playground.
They had an outdoor boardwalk that we walked on and a really cool otter exhibit. I had seen some otters at the VA Beach Marine Science Museum in 2008. These were bigger and way more active, at least we got there at an active time. These otters, Bubble and Squeak were about as thick as Spike and longer than Spike and SO CUTE! they were swimming around and playing and even licking the window and basically putting on a show for us. Emily had so much fun looking at them and even clapped her hands when they came by. Erin said that it must be time to take her to the zoo:)
There were old boats to look at and boats that in season that you could even go out in for a fee one said it went out for a little cruise, I am glad that one was not open because I did not have all my stuff with me and it would suck if we had gotten shipwrecked..
As part of our ticket we could also tour the Drum Point Lighthouse which was on the same property. This is my second lighthouse that I have toured. I toured one in VA Beach,VA lots of years ago. This one you walked up some stairs then walked up a ladder. that was scary then you were in the living area where they had different signs that said that a baby was born there at one point and other stories about different people that had lived there, then you took some more stairs up to another living area. Then you took some more stairs to another area then some more stairs to the tippy top. It was so beautiful and peaceful up there and I am so glad that we toured that.
When we were done touring, we drove around and went over a big beautiful bridge just for fun. then drove back over it... just for fun..
We drove through town and decieded to eat at Roy Rogers. They used to have over 600 Roy Rogers restaraunts in the US they are down to 62 now. I know this because Erin went to go nurse Emily in the bathroom and Rob and I looked it up on Wikipedia on my phone. First we looked up Roy Rogers the man and learned all about him ... you know he was America's Singing Cowboy at one point and was in heavy competition with Gene Autry... ( I have heard all these things because my dad grew up in the era when singing cowboys were actually popular)
I also want to take this moment to remind everyone I HATE COWBOY POETRY AND SINGING and the Lewiston 3rd ward thinks that is the kind of entertainment that we need for every activity...
Then Rob and I looked up Roy Rogers the restaraunt, it is a fast food restaraunt. There are none in UT but there food is not bad if you ever see one and need to eat I say why not?
Rob said we may now know more than anyone else here about Roy Rogers the man and Roy Rogers the restaraunt. I said I am SURE we do.. He said he felt like we deserved a degree or certificate or SOMETHING...I agreed and asked Rob to go up to the register to ask for one but he declined and I was to tired to do it.
We drove home and at some point we got lost and passed Potomac Mills Mall a big outlet mall in Woodbridge,VA which I do NOT remember passing and Erin and I were like um... then we passed Ikea..and I was like I KNOW WE DID NOT PASS AN IKEA!!! So I looked up how to get home and we were 45 minutes from home so we found our way home.
We arrived back in Reston late and went to bed
another GREAT DAY!!!!!!




No comments: