Sunday, October 16, 2011

field trip

Julian and I went to the farmers market in Reston yesterday. it is HUGE.. we had to walk because there were cars almost all the way back to where they live.. which is fine anyway because there is something about walking to a farms market that just makes it so much better right ?? We got down there and here were some of the attractions


1. two old men singing and playing the guitar

2. a group that was playing the bass.. the violin and the guitar and singing .. they have some sort of following because there were people singing righ along with them

3. a girl that was like 10 or so playing the violin on a very very low level.. as in almost painful but not quite...

they all wanted money

I did not give any of them money

there were a lot of booths set up with crafts people made one guy had takedn alcohal bottles and then somehow ran a cord through them and now they were lamps with bulbs and shades... if that was not tempting to buy then IDK what was....there were people that had made bows and purses and all sorts of things.. then I realized that a lot of these people did NOT make ANYTHING they were selling.. they had bought it CHEAP ..WHOLESALE and were then selling it... like I admired this one knit hat and I was like I like this hat and the lady was like it is $15.. I said well it says handmade did you make it she said no someone in India or China made all this stuff ... SOMEONE IN INDIA OR CHINA? um NO THANK YOU!!!! someone that is working a ton of hours a day or a CHILD.. like if I want to buy that stuff then I will go to real store.. I came here to get local STUFF to support local people.. not people that just bought a booth to sell stuff like look I can go online and buy this stuff too...

There was a lady that was selling soap.. my boss said that in his opinion people that make soap are becoming "quite a racket" he said he feels like SO MANY people are making soap these days.. I said did you make this soap.. the lady said not really... well then I am not going to buy it from you cause I am at a FARMERS MARKET... I am here to buy local stuff made by LOCAL people.. not local people that can buy stuff online...

There were some guys selling pickles you KNOW I had to buy some.. I said where do you make these pickles.. they said DC .. I said where at.. they said in our warehouse.. I was like OK... well um DC is local enough for me.. cause I go there like once a week.. and well... I LOVE PICKLES...

I also bought some DELICIOUS hummus from a place called Wisteria Gardens in WV that is certified naturally grown ... and a small business.. it is so good!!! :)

I also talked to a Muslim girl that designs modest clothes.. she has a place in Vienna..I want to buy a couple of dresses from her.. here is the website http://www.modernmary.com/

they had some great donuts for sale too.. 3 tiny donuts for FIVE dollars I also did not buy those cause I ate three off the sample plate..
so that was my time at the farmers market.. I think I will go eat some hummus now!!!! :)



-

No comments: