Sunday, October 2, 2011

missionary Keli

I shared this story last week in Relief Society and wanted to share it here also,
we were talking about charity and I shared that it is also important to be able to accept charity and I shared this experience from my mission:
when I got my mission call to Ventura, California. I had NO IDEA about weather there. It was before the internet was that big of a thing ( yes I am THAT old)  so I asked people do I need to pack a coat to go to CA and everyone told me no you don't need to pack a coat..
so I get to my first area Bakersfield, CA and it was cold..cold enough for a coat. I had NO IDEA how I was going to get a coat or who to even ASK for one.. Even though my parents had enough $$ for a coat I did not feel like I could ask them.. So I was just cold. One night my companion Sister Weight and I were at the church and a member said " Sister Wright do you have a coat? I said "no" She said " well will you let me buy you one" I was overwhelmed... that someone would want to be that nice to me. I talked to another member. I said " why would she want to buy me a coat" she does not even know me"  This other member told me, "you need to let her serve you" you are a missionary" she will be blessed from serving you"
the member took Sister Weight and I out and bought us both coats.. I wore that coat the rest of my mission and for awhile after. I felt so much warmth from that coat not just from being warm..but the warmth of love for someone noticing a cold sister missionary and serving her in a time of need.. I hope that I can and will see the needs people have and be able to serve them.

No comments: